Nothing is more an uncomfortable feeling after a delicious meal quite like a painful bout of acid reflux and heartburn. It which occurs when contents of the stomach back up into the esophagus and surely this condition affects a lot of people every day.
Acid reflux is obviously very painful, it causes belching and chest pain too. The pain gets worse when you lie down or bend over. If this condition prevails for a long time and regularly, the acids can irritate the esophagus which may lead to scarring, ulceration, and swelling as well. If it is not treated on time it may cause serious issues like Barrett’s esophagus and esophageal cancer.
If you suffer from occasional heartburn, here are the best home remedies for acid reflux and heartburn that you can try immediately.
1. Licorice Root
Licorice is known as a powerful remedy for a many of gastrointestinal issues, including ulcers, heartburn, and gastritis. It gives a soothing effect to the mucous membranes and protects the lining of the gut; it can protect the stomach and esophagus from acid. Make sure to consult a doctor before taking this herb.
- Boil half teaspoon of licorice root powder in a cup of water.
- Strain it and drink about 30 minutes prior to meals.
- Use this remedy twice a day.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is beneficial for acid reflux and heartburn as it produces more acid into the digestive tract. This acid is also effective against several types of bacteria and acts as an anti-microbial agent; also it helps balance acid production in the stomach.
- Mix three teaspoons of organic and unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water.
- You can drink it before each meal, before bedtime, or 2-3 times during the day.
- Do this on a regular basis, until you get good results.
[Also read: Remove Pimples with Apple Cider Vinegar]
3. Baking Soda
Baking soda is considered helpful in the condition because it can be used as an antacid to help neutralize stomach acid. It gives quick relief from acid reflux and heartburn.. The key ingredient in baking soda is sodium bicarbonate which acts as an absorbable antacid; it immediately neutralizes stomach acid and relieves symptoms of acid reflux and heartburn.
- Mix half to one teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of water and drink for instant relief.
Avoid taking baking soda for a long period of time or if you suffer from high blood pressure.
4. Ginger Tea
Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties which make it effective against acid reflux, it also helps reducing inflammation. Having a cup of fresh ginger tea about half an hour prior to meals can reduce the possibility of acid flowing from your stomach back into your esophagus.
- Slice a little ginger and boil gently in two cups of water; cover it for 30 minutes
- Strain and drink it 30 minutes before the meals.
Ginger also absorbs excess stomach acid and helps in proper digestion. You can also try adding a bit of lemon juice into the tea for added benefit.
Fennel seed is an aromatic but powerful herb which is very effective in improving digestion and suppressing stomach spasms as it contains a compound known as Anethole, known for controlling gastrointestinal tract spasms. Fennel seeds have a carminative effect and it can soothe the digestive tract and reduce acid and inflammation.
- Boil one teaspoon of fennel seeds in a cup of water and allow it to steep for 15 minutes
- Strain it and drink twice a day for a few weeks.
Cumin seeds are known to help to improve digestion, reduces gas production, treat acidity and heal the ulcer. These seeds have a natural quality of stimulation and release of vital enzymes in the body, particularly in the pancreas. Cumin seeds have antibacterial and a lot of medicinal properties , which make them a wonderful home remedy for treating acid reflux and heartburn.
- Boil one teaspoon of cumin seeds in a cup of water.
- Allow it to steep for about ten minutes and strain it.
- Drink this in the morning and after meals until you notice results.
[Don’t miss: Home Remedies for Fast Hair Growth and Long hair]
7. Coconut Water
Coconut water is rich in fiber content and many natural enzymes which aid in better digestion and treat acid reflux and heartburn by preventing the reoccurrence of acidity. It is a natural cooling agent, abundant in nutrients which keeps the stomach hydrated and soothes the burning sensation. When you drink coconut water, your body’s pH acidic level turns alkaline. It also gives protection from the side effects of too much acid production.
- Drink one glass of coconut water half an hour after your meal.
- Continue drinking it for about for 2-3 months.