Gout is a type of arthritis that can affect different body parts like the ankles, knees hands, wrists, ears and small joints. A high amount of uric acid in the body is one of the reasons for this health disorder and few other causes are genetics, excessive consumption of alcohol, lack of physical exercise, hypertension, diabetes, and stress.
Symptoms mostly include:
• Acute pain
• Intense tenderness
• Inflammation of the joints.
Here are the most popular gout pain relief home remedies:
Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar helps treat gout and arthritis. ACV helps your body become more alkaline and the acidity in apple cider vinegar can help in relieving acute pain.
• You can try drinking 2 tablespoons of raw unfiltered and organic apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.
• Drink this 2-3 times a day for better results.
• Increase the dosage of apple cider vinegar to up to two tablespoons after a few days.
• Alternatively, soak your foot for about 45 minutes in a bucket full of hot water and one cup of apple cider vinegar.
[Related: Dissolve Gallstones with Apple Cider Vinegar ]
Baking soda makes your body more alkaline. It can help lower the amount of uric acid, giving you relief from the gout pain.
Many consume ½ a teaspoon in a glass of 8 oz. water. Many will repeat this throughout the day until they have consumed at least 3 teaspoons of baking soda. It helps lower uric acid providing with relief from the pain at the same time. Baking soda is very high in sodium. The maximum recommended dose is 4 teaspoons throughout the day.
• Mix one teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water.
• Drink this solution four times a day but not more than that.
• Continue drinking this solution up to 2-3 weeks.
Avoid this home remedy if suffering from high blood pressure and try to limit salt intake in your meals during the day when taking baking soda.
Cherries have been known to be extremely effective in treating gout and lowering uric acid due to their high antioxidant properties. Cherries also contain anthocyanins, which can reduce inflammation too. You can also take cherry extract supplement for great results
• Start eating 15 to 20 cherries a day, first thing in the morning
• Alternatively, drink a glass of black cherry juice daily.
The anti-inflammatory properties present in ginger root can be very helpful in easing gout pain and inflammation
• Chop off a little piece of ginger and boil it for about 20 minutes and drink it as tea. Drink this solution at least once daily
• You can also add ginger root in cooking recipes or eat a raw piece of ginger root daily.
• Alternatively, make a paste of ginger root with a little water and apply this paste to the affected area. Leave it on for about half an hour. Do this once daily.
The high potassium content in bananas helps convert uric acid crystals into a liquid form that will be flushed out of the body later through urination, this helping in treating gout. Bananas are also rich in vitamin C, which can be very effective in managing swelling and gout pain.
• Eat 2-3 bananas daily, if possible first thing in the morning
• You can also try adding a ripe banana to one-half cup of yogurt
Another natural home remedy that helps alkalize your body thus neutralizing the excess uric acid in the blood stream is drinking lemon juice.
• Squeeze half a lemon in a glass of water and drink it up to three times a day
• Alternatively, add the juice of one lemon with one teaspoon of baking soda. Allow it to sit for a few seconds and then mix it in a glass of water. Drink it immediately.
If you are suffering from gout then placing the affected area in cold water will reduce swelling as well as gout pain.
• Dip the inflamed, swollen joint in cold water for 30 minutes
• Repeat the process several times a day.
• Use an ice pack for about 15 minutes, but wrap it in a towel before placing it on the affected area. Do not put ice directly on the joints, Do this 2-3 times a day.
The presence of magnesium which is an alkaline mineral in Epsom salt also helps to treat gout and there is no better topical treatment than Epsom salt, which is used to relax muscles, aches and gout pains.
• For a comfortable bath, add two cups of Epsom salt to warm bath water.
• Soak your body in it until the water starts becoming cold.
• Do this once a week.
Apples have malic acid in them that will help neutralize uric acid in the body and thereby relieve gout pain and inflammation.
• Eat one apple after each meal
• Alternatively, you can drink one glass of freshly extracted apple juice.
Vitamin C is highly effective in lowering uric acid levels in your blood. Also, vitamin C is believed to protect against gout by lowering serum urate.
• You can try adding Vitamin C rich foods like oranges, cantaloupe, broccoli, red peppers,
chili peppers, rose hips, parsley, and kiwi fruit.
• Also, you can take Vitamin C supplement, after consulting doctor