Having vaginal itching is not always a sign of any serious health condition; however, it is very uncomfortable. At some point in their lives, most women suffer from vaginal itching, burning or irritation. Having vaginal itching does not mean that you are unhygienic or dirt, in fact sometimes over washing can lead to this issue. It can be caused due to bacterial or yeast infections, or using harsh soaps and body washes that irritate the sensitive skin around the vulva.
Too much stress and a weak immune system can increase the chances of suffering from this uncomfortable condition. Along with itching, it can be accompanied by redness and swelling around the vagina; thick vaginal discharge and unpleasant odor may also be there. Also, women suffering from this problem face discomfort during intercourse.
Vaginal itching and discomfort can be very easily treated with some natural home remedies. With these home remedies, those infections can be killed which cause the itchiness and irritation. Additionally, these remedies soothe the burning and reduce the redness around vagina.
Here, are mentioned the ten most effective home remedies which provide quick relief from vaginal itching:
Garlic possesses antibacterial and antibiotic properties that can help kill bacteria and yeas, it has been proved to cure yeast infections. You can garlic to control the growth of infection-causing microbes in the vagina to cure itching.
• Add a little of garlic juice to 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil and apply it on the affected area. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and then rinse with warm water. Use this remedy twice daily until you feel better.
• Chew 3-4 cloves of raw garlic daily for good results.
Yogurt can be considered a probiotic because it contains good live bacteria; it controls vaginal itching and burning by keeping the infection from spreading. The bacteria in yogurt are essential to create a healthy environment in your vagina. It also helps in killing yeast and bad bacteria in the vagina.
• Eat a cup of unsweetened yogurt twice every day.
• Dip a cotton ball in yogurt and put it inside the vagina for a few hours.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar has many medicinal uses; it has both antibacterial and antifungal properties and helps in restoring the natural pH balance of the vagina. It helps in the treatment of the vaginal itching and burning sensation to a great extent.
• Add 2-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water.
• Rinse your vagina with this solution twice every day
For added advantage, you can also consume apple cider vinegar with honey in a glass of water, two times a day.
You can apply honey as an ointment on the affected parts. Raw and Unpasteurized honey can help in getting rid of any microbial infection that could be causing the irritation and itching.
• Apply a layer of honey on the vagina.
• Leave it on for about half an hour.
• Rinse off with lukewarm water.
• Repeat the process twice in a day to see results.
5. Cold Compress
A cold compress would provide you instant relief from itching around your vaginal area. It helps to numb the area and reduce swelling and inflammation. You can also try to wash the affected area with cold water 2-3 times a day.
• Put a few ice cubes in a bag and wrap in a clean cloth
• Put this pack on your vagina for sometime
• Take it off for a few seconds and apply it again.
• Keep repeating it until itching reduces.
6. Indian Lilac
Indian lilac also called as neem, is popular for its anti-bacterial properties. Its antiseptic properties give immediate relief from vaginal itching. It helps to fight the infection and reduces other discomforts as well.
• Grind the leaves, add a pinch of turmeric and apply on the irritated area for relief. Leave it for 20 minutes and wash it off with cold water
• Boil the neem leaves in 2 to 3 cups of clean water. Strain and allow it to cool. Use this solution to wash the vaginal area once daily.
7. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has the quality to treat yeast infection; it is also loaded with antibacterial properties which can provide relief from vaginal itching by killing the infection. Tea tree oil is also proved to help promote a healthy balance of flora in the vagina.
• Dilute a few drops of tea tree oil with some coconut oil
• Apply this mixture on the vagina and affected areas.
• Leave it to dry for 15 minutes and rinse with warm water.
• Repeat the process daily until you get results.
8. Coconut oil
Pure coconut oil has many health benefits and possesses antifungal and antibacterial properties making it highly effective against infections. It is scientifically proven that coconut oil can help in treating yeast infections.The fatty acid composition of coconut oil gives relief to itchy skin and dryness.
• Apply the coconut oil to the skin or skin fold where irritation is there
• Leave it overnight to help reduce the infection and get relief from itchiness.
9. Salt Water Bath
A salt water bath will give relief from vaginal itching and provide a soothing effect to your body. Salt will control the growth of the microbes which cause infection and discomfort. You can either use Epsom salt or sea salt for this remedy.
• Add 1 tablespoon of salt to a glass of water and use it to rinse the affected. Repeat this process 2 –3 times in a day.
• Add a half cup of salt to your bathtub filled with lukewarm water. Sit in the tub for 20 minutes and bath normally.
10. Basil leaves
Basil leaf has antimicrobial properties that help in destroying all the microbes present in the vagina if applied regularly. It is considered one of the best remedies to cure vaginal itching.
• Add a handful of basil leaves and crush them to form a paste
• Add this paste to boiling water and steep for 15 minutes
• Let it cool down and strain it.
• Rinse your vagina with this solution twice every day