Gallstones are small stones found in the gallbladder, a small organ that plays primary role of storing bile made by the liver. Individuals who have been experiencing severe pain in their upper abdominal region for either long or sometimes short periods of time should get themselves checked for gallstones. The pain is mostly experienced in specific regions of the body like the upper abdomen, shoulder blades, and the back accompanied by several vomiting bouts and chronic indigestion
Gallstones are formed when cholesterol, calcium, and other particles bind together and become stuck in the gallbladder which causes pain, indigestion and back pain. Mostly, women are prone to getting gallstones because of pregnancy, as during this time an imbalance of hormones particularly estrogen, occurs in the body which is one of the main causes for the development of gallstones. Other than pregnancy, obesity, an unhealthy lifestyle, a high junk diet, diabetes, and anemia can also be the reason for the development of gallstones.
Fortunately, there are many useful home remedies which can help you get rid of these gallstones.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Pure and natural apple cider vinegar comprises of acids that can eliminate gallstones completely and alleviate pain. The acidic property of apple cider vinegar prevents the liver from creating cholesterol which is responsible for development gallstones.
- Add one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of apple juice.
- Drink this on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Drink this regularly for weeks to get rid of gallstones.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice which is high in citric acid and vitamin C has been used Epsom salts to eliminate gallstones for many generations. Lemon stops your liver from creating cholesterol, which helps in faster recovery.
The Vitamin C in lemon juice not only dissolves calcifications but also is a powerful antioxidant with antimicrobial properties which helps to fight gallbladder infections.
- Drink 3-4 tablespoons of lemon juice mixed in a glass of warm water every day on an empty stomach.
- Drink it regularly for several weeks until the gallstones are flushed out from your system
[Also read: Gray Hair Natural Treatment with lemon mixture]
3. Castor Oil
This is an old age remedy that has been used very effectively for both gallbladder problems and liver problems from generations. Castor oil has anti-inflammatory, medicinal and healing properties, making it ideal to get rid of painful gallstones.
- Heat castor oil in a pan, soak cheesecloth in this warm oil
- After squeezing excess oil from the cloth; put it on the right side of your stomach and cover with plastic sheet.
- Place a hot water bag on the plastic sheet for an hour
- Do this for 3 -4 days off minimum. Repeat for one to three months.
4. Milk Thistle
Milk thistle or Silybum marianum, reduces the risk of gallstones by stimulating more gallbladder contraction. This herb contains silymarin that prompts bile production which decreases its concentration and helps flush out gallstones. Milk thistle generally has no side effects and it is safe for most adults if used in moderate amounts.
- Grind one tablespoon of milk thistle seeds
- Add the ground seeds in three cups of water and boil.
- Allow it to steep for 20 minutes.
- Strain the tea, add honey for flavor and drink it twice a day
5. Vegetable Juice
It is important to avoid junk and fatty food when suffering from this condition and keep yourself hydrated. Drinking water on its own can already help, however, adding a few vegetables here can enhance the healing.
Take these three vegetables for a quick recovery.
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1 beetroot
Extract the juice and drink this juice twice a day. Beet root will cleanse the liver and provide strength to the gallbladder. Carrots will provide healthy nutrition while cucumber will detoxify the liver and gallbladder. This juice can really help your body dissolve the gallstones.
[Don’t Miss: Lose Belly Fat without Exercise]
Psyllium is an excellent source of fiber that is why it is considered an ideal remedy for gallstones. The fiber in psyllium gets bonded to the cholesterol in bile and prevents the development of gallstones. Psyllium also cleanses the colon and prevents constipation which is important as constipation is linked with gallstone formation.
- Take 1-3 teaspoons in 300ml of water
- Drink this 2-3 times a day
- Make sure to drink a lot of water while consuming psyllium as it absorbs water.