Home Remedies for Baby Cold: it is miserable to watch your kid suffer through the cold. A baby’s age is tricky and cold can obviously become very troublesome for your child; you have to be very careful and gentle while giving any kind of treatment. With the changing weather, cough and cold are very common ailments that kids suffer from.With your babies, all you should do is to relieve the symptoms carefully while letting the body recover.
Symptoms of common cold and cough in babies:
• Running nose
• Blocked Nose
• Loss of appetite
• Stuffy nose
All remedies may not be safe for your kids as they are very young, so here a few of these home remedies to treat the problem and boost your kid’s immunity that are safe and effective. Hope it helps all the parents!
1. Drumstick leaves oil
This is a highly effective and timeworn treatment, which will give relief to your babies and help them feel better.
• Take half cup of coconut oil, warm it in a vessel and add a handful of moringa/ drumstick leaves.
• Once the leaves get shriveled, you can take the vessel off the stove.
• Use this as your kid’s hair oil during cold and cough
2. Garlic-Mustard oil massage
Garlic is known as an old therapy to treat cold, mustard oil gives warmth to the baby’s body and garlic has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties that help in destroying bacteria that cause the problem.
• Heat mustard oil in a pan
• Add 8-10 cloves of garlic cut into pieces.
• Heat the oil until garlic turns black.
• Strain this oil and cool slightly.
• Massage baby with this oil while it is still slightly warm.
• Apply amply on the chest, back, palms and bottom of the feet.
3. Light Steam
Breathing moist air helps loosen the mucus in the nasal passages and is a natural way to deal with the blocked nose and chest congestion. It also helps your baby to sleep better. It will be a good idea to use a room humidifier or steamer to keep room humid which will help your baby to breathe easily.
Alternatively, run a hot bath and close the door so that the bathroom is full of hot steam; sit there with the baby for 15-20 minutes.
[Also read: Cleanse your Colon Fast with Top 7 Remedies]
4. Turmeric Paste
Turmeric is one of the most popular home remedies for cold and cough. It has antibacterial properties which are legendary. The heat from the turmeric paste can absorb the phlegm, by that relieving the baby from cold, congestion and cough.
• Mix turmeric powder with a little water to form a paste.
• Heat this paste a little and apply the lukewarm turmeric paste on chest, the forehead and feet.
Saffron is a stimulant tonic which can be used in a paste form to apply on the forehead for quick relief from cold. It helps to treat blocked chest, congestion, and fever.
• Take a little saffron and grind it
• Add few drops of clear water.
• Apply this paste on the baby’s chest, forehead, throat, palms and under feet at night.
6. Carrot juice
Carrot juice is a rich source of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. It is found to be effective against a whooping cough.
• Peel and chop a few carrots
• Add these chopped carrots in some boiled water
• Strain to get the juice and dilute it with boiled water.
• Give this to your baby regularly for quick recovery
7. Honey (12 months and up)
Honey can be effective at relieving coughs and may help kids sleep better overnight. Remember, your child must be at least one year old to try this remedy. A few drops of honey can do wonders in soothing a cold that refuses to go. Honey has many antibacterial and anti-fungal properties which can treat cold and throat irritation.
• Take feeding bottle and fill it with warm water
• Add a tablespoon of honey and feed it to your baby
8. Tulsi Juice
Tulsi is commonly available in every household and has an abundance of healing and medicinal properties. Juice from Tulsi leaves can help to get relief from cough, cold and congestion really fast. It will also help in boosting your baby’s immunity as it is found that tulsi leaves stimulate the production of immune cells.
• Boil 5-6 leaves of Tulsi in one cup water.
• Once cooled feed your baby a couple of spoons, twice a day
• You can also add a little honey.
[Don’t miss: Remove Stretch Marks Naturally at Home]
9. Lukewarm water with Ajwain
Ajwain or Bishops seed is a great remedy for a cough and you should give warm water at regular intervals to keep your baby well hydrated during the ailment
• Take a glass of water and add a few ajwain seeds.
• Wait for the water to boil.
•Cool the water, strain and give this water at regular intervals to your baby.
10. Warm coconut oil massage
It is considered a good routine to give massage to your baby daily and it becomes absolutely essential when baby suffering from cold. It will work as a natural anti-viral and anti-bacterial moisturizer for your baby.
• Warm 1/2 cup of coconut oil.
• Add a few tulsi leaves into it.
• Apply this oil on baby’s chest, neck, backbone and underarms.